Powered by Softsl!
NEWCASTLE Jets chief executive Lawrie McKinna says the club can’t do much more,on or off the field,to welcome fans on game day.
PASSION: Newcastle Jets supporters have had more to celebrate in 2017-18 than has been the case for many seasons. Picture: Darren Pateman
After eight rounds, Newcastle are second on the ladder and have scored 20 goals –six more than their nearest rivals.
The Jets have attracted 40,986 fans to their four home games this season at an average of 10,246, and McKinna was hopeful Saturday’s clash with Melbourne City at McDonald Jones Stadium –which might be the last chance for Novocastrians to watch Socceroos champion Tim Cahill live in action –would be a drawcard.
As an added incentive, the Jets are offering discounted, reserved tickets in the eastern stand at a cost of two for $30.
“This is the third game where we’ve had special ticket deals, so we’re doing our best to entice people to come,” McKinna said.
“The boys are playing good football, and getting results on the park. So we think the boys deserve a big crowd to play in front of, and hopefully the public get behind us on Saturday night, up against Melbourne City and Tim Cahill, who’s been one of the Socceroos’ real heroes.
“We had more than 14,000 for our first home game of the season, so it would be great to get up somewhere near that on Saturday.”
McKinna said “you’re not going to go to another stadium in Australia and get a grandstand, reserved ticket for just 15 bucks”.
Newcastle’s home crowds are up on last season, when an average of 8645 turned out each game to support them in a season that culminated inthe wooden spoon.
In their 2007-08 premiership-winning season, their home crowds averaged 14,176, including a full house of22,960 for the opening round of the finals.
This season’s attendances include 6258 on a wet night against Wellington, and last week’s Thursday night game against Melbourne Victory (8427).
“We’ve been happy with our crowds so far, but new fans are always welcome,” McKinna said.
“We’ve been scoring goals, and it’s a good atmosphere. Newcastle has been waiting for so long to have a successful team, and this year we’re heading in the right direction.
“We want everyone to jump on the bus. If you haven’t been to a game for a while, come along, bring a friend, and enjoy the atmosphere.”
Adding to the occasion on Saturday night, there will be a special presentation to Newcastle’sErnie Merrickwhen he become’s the first A-League coach to reach the 250-game milestone.
A win by the Jets against third-placed City would lift Newcastle at least six points clear of their nearest rivals in the race for a top-two finish.
ADVANCE: Merewether surfer Jackson Baker. Picture: Marina NeilMerewether’s Jackson Baker faces a second-round test against hometown Hawaiian and two Brazilians at the season-ending Vans World Cup of Surfing on Friday(AEST).
Baker made the cut at the World Surf League 10,000-pointqualifying series(QS) event at Hawaii’s North Shore beach after a buzzer-beating ride in his opening heat.
The 20-year-old natural-footer saved his best until last and produced a ride of6.23, whichfolloweda 5.33 on the wave prior to narrowly edge out US competitor Tanner Gudauskas.
Baker (11.56) ended up 0.06 points ahead of Gadauskas (11.50) in the four-man battle taken out by Hawaii’s Logan Bediamol (12.36), which included a single-wave score of 9.43.
In three heats time on the island ofOahu, Bakertakes on Flavio Nakagima, Bino Lopes and Torrey Meisterin a bid to makeround three.
Baker hopes to improve his current QS ranking of 112th, which dropped back while inthe US state this month after finishing 49that the 3000-point HCI Pro and 81stat the 10,000-point Hawaiian Pro.
His 37that Portugal’s10,000-point Pro Cascais early last month earned him1000 QS points. It was his second-best collection of 2017. He has 4070 points overall, made up of his top-five results.
FLASHBACK: Surfest crowds in the 1980s
SUPERCARS: Poynting takes dip at Nobbys
PHOTOS: Amputee surf day in Newcastle
Meghan Markle’s half-sister has revealed in an interview that her sister’s regal engagement “created some rifts” with her family, but that they are happy for her.
“It created some rifts with us, but people across the pond think we’re mean people saying bad things about her, but that’s not the case,” she said in an interview with Us Weekly.
Markle’s half sister Samantha Markle (also known as Samantha Grant), revealed that the pair had not spoken since 2008, but that she is happy for her sister.
“It was really exciting for me. I am so happy for her.”
“[My father is] very excited, just like the statement he released. He is truly happy about their union, but what’s important if it’s Prince Harry or anyone else, you want to make sure someone you love gets married, that they know enough about the person they’re marrying and they’ve had a while to get to know each other,” she said.
“So my father and I are both so excited because they’ve had a long time to get to know each other and then know what they want to do. That’s really important for us,” the half-sister added.
The author and mother of three has also dismissed rumours that her new book, The Diary of Princess Pushy’s Sister, is about Markle.
“Everyone assumes my book is a slamming tell-all, which it is not. Now it can be egg in their faces and everyone can say what they think. My book is not a small piece and it is important historically. I wasn’t in a position to release what it was about. They assumed the worst and I think that’s unfair and our family members who spoke about my book shouldn’t be doing so.”
While Samantha says it is unlikely she will be invited to the wedding, she hopes to attend.
“I would love to go and show her how much I love her and how happy I am about this and for her,” she said.
On the woman’s Twitter, she has joked about crashing the royal wedding if she isn’t invited. This is how my brother Tom Markle Junior plans to crash through the gates of Buckingham palace at the [email protected]@[email protected]南京夜网/nXMqPVBBhd??? Samantha Markle (@SamanthaMGrant) November 29, 2017This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.
Julie Shuttleworth at Cloudbreak ore processing facility.JPGBillionaire mining magnate Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest has unveiled a “new dawn” at Fortescue Metals Group, announcing that two women would lead the miner, with Elizabeth Gaines to be the next chief executive and Julie Shuttleworth to be deputy CEO in a series of leadership changes at the company.
It is a history-making announcement, given it is touted as the first time women have been appointed CEO and deputy CEO of a major Australian ASX-listed mining company.
The two female appointments represented half of four leadership appointments announced by Mr Forrest on Thursday, the major shareholder and chairman of the company. All four, which included a new chief operating officer (Greg Lilleyman) and a new chief financial officer (Ian Wells), were internal appointments.
Mr Forrest praised the appointees, describing Ms Gaines and Ms Shuttleworth as “a really phenomenal team” who got their positions on ability.
“The best people were appointed to these four positions, regardless of gender,” he said.
Ms Gaines, the miner’s chief financial officer, will become just the third CEO of the company, which was founded in 2003. She will succeed the highly regarded Nev Power.
“She has shown to her board that she has all the ability of a first-class leader,” Mr Forrest said.
In a media call shortly after the changes were unveiled, Ms Gaines, who was raised in the Kimberley region of Western Australia, acknowledged that the history-making element of the announcement would be “of interest” to people.
She also said: “I think it is an important signal to corporate Australia, around the importance of having diversity at the C-suite, not just around the board table. And there’s been quite a bit of progress made at a board level, but I think for the C-suite, there does need to be greater focus. And if these appointments actually bring that into focus I think that’s a good thing.”
At which point Mr Forrest added: “It’s a valuable by-product.”
Ms Gaines, 54, also said she was humbled and privileged to be selected as the next CEO of the Perth-based miner, one of the biggest iron ore producers in Australia. She joined Fortescue in 2013 as a non-executive director, and become CFO in early 2017.
Mr Forrest said the new leadership team would mark “a smooth transition of cultural change”, and the new leaders were expected to be in their new positions in early 2018.
“All four appointments are internal. I think that speaks volumes for the leadership of this company,” he said.
“This team brings together a group of incredible individuals who are ingrained with Fortescue’s culture, who all possess the experience, talent and personal values required to lead our company’s new direction. Collectively, they will champion Fortescue’s unique culture, which is built on the strength of our family values, looking out for your mates and having the courage and determination to set immensely challenging stretch targets and to, in general, deliver against them.”
Ms Shuttleworth, most recently general manager of Fortescue’s Solomon operations, said she was thrilled to be appointed deputy CEO. She said that the appointment of two female leaders by the miner would be “an inspiration to other women” across Australia.
Also on Thursday Mr Forrest said it was a “target” of Fortescue’s that in future, though he didn’t set a timetable, that “a majority” of the company’s iron ore production would have iron grades greater than 60 per cent.
This year Fortescue’s revenue from iron ore sales to China have been affected by the push by Chinese authorities to cut pollution. The push is hitting Chinese steel makers and having ramifications for miners, because iron ore is a key ingredient in steel making.
To address concerns over pollution, Chinese steelmakers are favouring ore with higher iron grades, which they pay higher prices for. Fortescue sells ore with iron grades of about 58.5 per cent, which attracts a lower price than the industry benchmark.
In October, when Fortescue released its September 2017 quarterly production report, Mr Power said the discounts for its iron ore were continuing for longer than expected “because of the continuing supply-side reform interventions” in China. At the time, Fortescue also lowered its price guidance for fiscal 2018.
Shares in Fortescue eased 2?? on Thursday, to close at $4.60.
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.
Ivanka Trump may be dominating the headlines in India, but at age 13, Hamish Finlayson – the youngest entrepreneur at this year’s Global Entrepreneurship Summit – is winning their hearts. The summit, now in its eighth year, is for the first time being held in South Asia.
The fast-growing tech city of Hyderabad is hosting more than 1500 entrepreneurs and investors from 150 countries around the world. Finlayson is becoming one of its most famous guests.
“I find the attention a bit overwhelming,” he tells Fairfax Media.
This week alone, he has been featured in national Indian publications and television channels, and is now attracting worldwide media attention about his five apps, which are mostly short video games either aimed at saving sea turtles or increasing awareness about autism.
Townsville local Finlayson, already a coding whiz, created his first app, LitterbugSmash, in August 2015. The games and quizzes in the app raise awareness about the harm plastic debris causes sea turtles.
As a young child he’d witnessed the plight of injured sea turtles at the Townsville-based sea turtle hospital. He recalls a sea turtle being trapped in the top of a plastic beer pack hole and decided to create platforms that taught people about how litter kills these endangered creatures.
“I wanted to use technology to solve real-life problems,” he says. “And I hate litter, so I decided to do one about litter.”
He entered the app into a competition against 7000 others, and was one of just nine Australians that made the final cut to pitch their ideas.
Despite coming second in the competition, he decided he would keep going.
Following on from LitterbugSmash was Nurdles vs Turtles, which focuses on the fact that 15.2 tonnes of plastic rubbish enter our oceans – another game designed to save sea turtles and protect the sea.
All up he now has five apps, which have been downloaded in 54 countries by more than 10,000 people.
He says China is a big market for downloads.
But his most personal app is the latest one, which was inspired by his own life.
Finlayson is autistic. His app, TripleTandASD raises awareness of autism.
Finlayson points out that 1 per cent of the population live with autism, which is about 74 million people.
“People can’t understand it [autism],” he says. “And so people mistreat those with autism. It’s not nice. My app helps people better understand it.”
He does this by making the user experience what it feels like to have autism and giving them tools to overcome it.
“For instance, Triple T is at a birthday party. An Elvis impersonator is singing for Triple T. And the other children are singing along but the noise becomes too loud for Triple T. So he goes to grab headphones so he can hear Elvis, but without the added noise.”
His father, Graeme Finlayson, says the app is attracting great community and social media feedback but his son is not prepared to monetise it for now.
If they did get funding it could be via a scheme like the national disability insurance scheme. For now, it is more about raising awareness and “breaking barriers about the disease”, says Graeme.
Hamish gets crowd funding and grants for developing his apps. He also recently got $40,000 from Facebook for a program that he took part in at last year’s summit in Silicon Valley.
In future, if he can make his sea turtle games longer, he may be able to sell them and attract investment for further projects.
For now he’s focused on a new virtual reality tool – he says he wants to study virtual technology and acting at university – “maybe I can make a movie about litter”.
His new game will help young kids cross the road.
“Transportation is a leading cause of injury in kids and teens,” Finlayson says. “I want to help change that, with a bit of fun along the way.”
Of course, “homework comes first and saving the world comes second.”
The writer travelled to the Global Entrepreneurship Summit as a guest of the US State Department.
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.